Monday, September 28, 2009

Galations

I love the Bible app on my iPhone. It let's me bookmark my favorite scriptures. Last night I was up with my sick 4 year old most of the night, so I was reading some scripture...on my iPhone. Somehow that doesn't seem as spiritual as reading out of a 25 pound King James Bible.


Anyway, I came across a Galations 1:10. It says, "Am I now trying to win the approval of men, or of God? Or am I trying to please men? If I were still trying to please men, I would not be a servant of Christ."


Paul wrote to the churches in Galatia. These were churches that Paul may have started, but were later led away from Christ centered teachings. Paul was rebuking the churches for their willingness to follow whatever theory or teaching that came their way. It's crazy how little things change.


We are so quick to adopt popular ideas whether they are biblically based or not. Who are we trying to please? Why do we put on a show for anyone. God is calling us to a life that is extraordinary, but most of us can't get past what other people think. 


When I was younger I never wanted to worship in the adult service because of what people might think. Did I really expect my parents to hang their head in shame if they saw their son worshiping? The crazy part is that I think I didn't want to worship because of what would be expected of me if I did. I might be held more accountable in the future & people might think I should always worship. Pretty selfish.



OK. When I look at my life today, the temptation to be a people pleaser is still there, but it's different. There's a different set of expectations because I'm on staff at a church. Don't get me wrong. Pastors are held to a different standard of living & I'm OK with that. I'm not really talking about what I do, but why I do it. 


What is my motivation for the things I do. Do I live like I do to fulfill my obligations as a pastor or am I doing it because I am so in love with God that it causes me to live differently? Am I living to please people or God? It's easy to get the 2 mixed up & not even realize it. 


There's a story about a pianist who was performing at a concert hall in New York City. He had prepared for months & was ready to play before a sold out engagement. When he walked onto stage he noticed an old man with a sour look on his face, sitting on the front row. He had his arms crossed as he sat back in his seat. The pianist played the entire show & the old man hardly moved at all.


At the conclusion of the performance the crowd erupted. Everyone across the concert hall stood in applause...except the little old man. As the pianist exited the stage to cheers & applause, he began to cry. When his manager stopped him backstage he asked, "What is wrong with you? They loved you tonight."


The pianist replied, "No they didn't. The old man in the front row hated it." The manager said, "What difference does he make? He is only 1 man." Through his tears, the pianist said, "That man is composer of the music I played tonight. If he isn't satisfied with my performance, then it doesn't matter what everyone else thinks."
  
Who are you trying to please in your life?

No comments: